Monday, April 18, 2011

Day 16

I was on my way to an appointment this morning when it happened.

I noticed the car behind me was the dreaded cop car.

I don't know about you, but when I see a police vehicle, I immediately sit up straighter. And make sure my hands are at 10 and 2 on the steering wheel. And I change the station from lady gaga to enya, cause I'm not a punk. And I leave a full cars length in front of me and the next car at the red light. And I throw my Bible up on the dashboard. And my church bulletin. And my Jesus fish bookmark. And I wipe the fuzz off my teeth with my sweater and practice my most perfect good citizen smile.

And

I

sweat.

It's funny though, don't you think, that even when you know both of your blinkers are working, your seat belt is fastened, and your insurance isn't expired, you still feel like HE'S OUT TO GET YOU, and those blue and red cherry's will be flashing at any moment. At least I feel that way.

Then I thought, I wonder how often I actually think of God that way.

The big mean ogre in the sky, with a giant baseball bat, out to slam me like that little "slam the gopher with a club game" at the fair, and condemn me for every sin I've even thought of committing.

When really, just like the policeman, He's actually there to protect. To keep safe. To intercede on my behalf. To ride a horse in a cool hat that looks like a frisbee. Oh,wait... maybe that's not God, just the police. Well, they do have a lot in common.

At New Years, I asked God to teach me more about His love this year. And He really is. It's incredible how every day situations suddenly become a metaphor for how God loves me. And only He is the one opening my eyes to these things. I love it. It's so personal. Not some far away God at all, but a very intimate Father who really really loves me. And you. It's quite mind blowing.


<span class=

2 comments:

Mama4Real said...

I ALWAYS do that. And I wonder if the policemen realize the power they have over all of us citizens of earth. But I've never thought about it like this before. Very interesting. Good thoughts! You get my FB email?

Paraphrase said...

What happened to the rest of the days of the 30 day challenge? You got me all on board, and I did it, too, but then you stopped!